SERVES: 4 | COOK TIME: 0 - 30 MIN | METHOD: Baked Grill
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pound blue crab
- 3 tablespoons butter (unsalted and melted)
- 1 cup crème fraîche or sour cream (for garnish)
- 1/2 bunch chives (sliced thin, for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons sterling caviar (for garnish)
- Stabilize your grill at 450°F. Set up for direct grilling and insert a soap stone or cast-iron griddle surface on your grill.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and combine.
- 3 cups Flour
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Salt
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- In a second bowl, combine your wet ingredients. Whip to fully incorporate.
- 2 cups Milk
- 3 Eggs
- 3 tablespoons Butter (unsalted and melted)
- Form a well in your dry ingredients and slowly pour the wet into the dry, whipping to incorporate the two.
- Now that the batter is made, gently fold in the crab meat. Be sure not to over whip; it is nice to see small chunks of crab meat in the batter.
- Oil the soap stone or cast-iron griddle surface and place a small amount of batter, roughly 2 tablespoons, on the surface. Cook for 45 seconds. Once you start to see small bubbles in the batter, flip and cook for another 45 seconds. Remove the first pancake or blini and taste. This is your tester, so adjust the seasoning to your liking if needed.
- Oil the surface again and continue to make as many blinis as you like, using the back of a spoon to draw them out as soon as they hit the hot surface to ensure they are thin.
- Transfer them to a presentation platter and garnish each blue crab blini with a dash of crème fraîche, dash of caviar and minced chives. Enjoy!
This baked blue crab blini is best cooked using Kamado Joe Grills.