SERVES: 4 | PREP TIME: 10 min | COOK TIME: 20 min
Delicately sweet broccolini is grilled until crisp-tender and dressed with toasted almonds, bright orange zest and a charred orange vinaigrette - a reason to fire up the grill any time of year! Be sure to grab broccolini and not broccoli rabe, as the latter is much more astringent.
- 2 heads broccolini, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- neutral tasting cooking oil with a high smoke point, like rice bran, canola or grapeseed
- kosher salt
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 orange, ½ zested then cut in half
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat (450-500°F) with a Broil King Grill Wok or Roaster Basket.
- Meanwhile, toss the broccolini florets in a mixing bowl with about 2-3 tablespoons of cooking oil and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt.
- On your grill’s side burner or on the stove, toast slivered almonds in a pan on medium-low heat until golden, 4-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Roast broccolini in the Grill Wok or Roaster Basket for 10-15 minutes, occasionally flipping, until nicely charred and crisp-tender. Be sure to maintain a steady temperature and err on the side of lower heat to avoid scorching.
- As the broccolini is roasting, zest ½ an orange and set zest aside in a small bowl. Cut the orange in half and char one half directly on the grids for 4-5 minutes. Reserve the other half for later use. Remove from the grill and let cool.
- Make the grilled orange vinaigrette. Juice the orange half into a mixing bowl, looking out for seeds, and whisk together with extra virgin olive oil, maple syrup and Dijon mustard.
- Transfer grilled broccolini onto a platter and spoon grilled orange vinaigrette over top. Finish with toasted slivered almonds and orange zest before serving. Salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe is best cooked with Broil King Grills.