SERVES: 8 | COOK TIME: 30-60 min | METHOD: Grilled
- 1 medium white onion, finely chopped
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tube of chorizo, cut into small cubes
- 1.5 cups bomba rice
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 12 clams
- 12 mussels
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 5 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 8 sprigs thyme, finely chopped
- 9 pieces of shrimp, 21/30 in size
- lemons for garnish, quartered
- parsley for garnish, chopped
- pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 8 pieces
Preheat Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 to 350°F.
Once temperature has been reached, place a 12 inch cast iron skillet in the grill to preheat for 10 minutes.
Add olive oil, onions, and garlic to skillet and sauté until translucent. Add white wine and cook for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Please take note that the chorizo contains a larger amount of sodium. Be cautious to not over salt!
Add chicken and lightly sauté, then add chorizo and sauté.
Once the chorizo is cooked through, add rice, saffron, salt (to taste), pepper (to taste), thyme, and smoked paprika. Stir ingredients to coat rice.
Evenly spread out the mixture in the skillet. Add chicken stock and lightly shake the skillet to evenly settle the rice.
Close the lid and cook for about 15-18 minutes.
Once everything has cooked, layer shrimp in a circular fashion in the middle of the paella.
Next, layer the mussels, clams and roasted red peppers the same way, alternating from mussel to clam to red pepper strips each time. There should be an open middle of the skillet when you are done. Place the remaining red pepper strips in this space.
Cook for 5-7 more minutes, or until the clams and mussels open. Rice should be tender; if not, add a bit more stock and cook until tender but not mushy.
Remove the skillet and place a lid on the skillet. Let it rest for about 10-15 minutes.
Remove the lid and garnish with chopped parsley and lemon. Serve and enjoy!
This Paella recipe is best cooked using Masterbuilt Grills.