SERVES: 8 | PREP TIME: 45 min | COOK TIME: 1 hour
- 1 cup wild rice
- 3 cups stock
- 4 small acorn or butternut squash, halved and seeded
- oil with a high smoke point, like rice bran, canola, or grapeseed
- salt & pepper
- 4 shallots or 8 red pearl onions, ends removed and quartered
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups rainbow chard, shredded
- 1/2 cup pepitas, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp. orange juice, plus 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- microgreens, as garnish (optional)
- In a medium-sized saucepan, bring wild rice and stock to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for 45 minutes.
- Preheat grill on medium-high heat with one of Broil King’s Cast Iron Griddles.
- Once the grill is hot, turn the heat down to low on the griddle side and keep the opposite side on medium-high heat for indirect heat.
- Drizzle oil on squash halves and season with salt and pepper. Roast squash flat side down on griddle for 45-55 minutes, checking halfway through. If squash has developed a dark, caramelized color, flip and finish cooking on the other side.
- Meanwhile, prep ingredients from shallots to feta.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Saute shallots until translucent and aromatic, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and rainbow chard and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Combine cooked wild rice, sauteed shallots, garlic, and rainbow chard in a large mixing bowl. Add pepitas, basil, pomegranate seeds, and feta and toss together.
- Season with orange juice, orange zest, and olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer roasted squash to a large platter and spoon wild rice salad into each cavity. Garnish with microgreens and serve.
This roasted squash recipe is best cooked with Broil King Grills.